<$BlogMetaData$="bollywood,hollywood,movie review,song download,new release movie">

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Love Guru(2008)






The Love Guru
Genre: Comedy
Released: 2008



Though I might have lost my entire college education watching this film and it might be the dumbest movie I have ever seen, I can't hide the fact that I was laughing hysterically the entire time. I thought this movie was going to big steaming pile and I think that everyone can agree that The Love Guru looked like AUSTIN POWERS 4!!!! It was Mike Myers in a very similar role and they even put MINI-ME back in the film!! The marketing for this film was just done ALL WRONG. Everyone that I know, including myself, had no desire to watch this movie at all and wished bad box office numbers upon the film. Well, as sad I am to admit this, this movie was just downright, mindless entertaining fun. I was talking to a group of listeners after the movie and we were talking about movies like this compared to the Oscar-type films like There Will Be Blood. The Love Guru's purpose is too make you laugh; not try to achieve in the acting, cinematography or directing category of the Oscars. If you can go into a movie like this with that mentality, then you are bound to have a good time. Sure, the movie is a big steaming pile, but it was fun as hell and that is what people should expect. The Love Guru stars Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake, Romany Malco (The 40 Year Old Virgin, Baby Mama), Jessica Alba, Verne Troyer (Mini-Me) and an awkward, yet, hilarious performance from Ben Kingsley.


The movie opens up with a hilarious voiceover by Morgan Freeman. We meet Guru Pitka (Myers) who tells us his story from India. They do not waste anytime and they jump right into the plotline. The Toronto Maple Leafs (hockey team) are in severe trouble and have not won the Stanley Cup Finals in many years. Their owner, Jane Bullard (Alba) was given the team when her father passed away, but he left the team with a curse and they haven't been able to win since. Now that they finally have a chance at winning but their star player Darren Roanoke (Malco) starts having terrible games because his ex-wife is now seeing the goalie (Timberlake) of the L.A. Kings, which is the team they are playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This goalie goes by the name of "Le Coq" and he is known for having an extremely oversized package. Roanoke wants his wife back and is having trouble playing the game knowing that the opposing team's goalie is having relations with his ex-wife. Alba has the genius idea to bring in a LOVE GURU to help get Roanoke and his wife back together. Guru Pitka thinks this will be his big break (helping out a star player who is all over the news) because his dream is to be on Oprah and become the number one love guru in the world. Now listen, I know the plot sounds ridiculous. That is not even what matters. It is honestly just all of the great jokes and just ridiculously stupid things that Myers pulls off in this film. One critic mentioned that all of the jokes are like 3rd grader jokes. YES!!!!!!! There is nothing wrong with that. I have always said this, but no matter how old I get, I will always find bathroom humor to be funny. I also love the little stupid one-liner jokes. What do you call a cow with no legs? GROUND BEEF!!!! There are a bunch of gems in this movie.
Overall, I was honestly scared to like this movie. In fact, when I walked out of the theatre to talk to the publicists, I was whispering my review to them because I thought everyone would think I am an idiot for liking it. It turned out that a lot of other people really enjoyed it as well. So my secret is out. I thought the movie was hilarious.

Myers might be one of the most talented comedians I have ever seen. The guy is a freaking genius and pulls off a hilarious role here. You don't even really think its Myers for the majority of the time. He helped write the script, so obviously he knew exactly how the part should have been played. Wait till you see his MUSICAL NUMBERS!!!

I really enjoyed all of the cameos in the film but the real person that shines is obviously Myers. Everyone else just seemed to be background noise except for Timberlake. His part was very funny. I really do think the kid is a good actor. He has pulled off some very impressive roles recently (Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan, Southland Tales). The guy is so talented it makes me sick. I really thought Alba was just there for looks. Her character didn't do much for me at all.

I am going to give the film a 3.5 BDK rating because it will be fun to watch with a big audience. If you are in for a stupid comedy and can appreciate it for what it is, you will love it!!! I would recommend the matinee viewing if you are into a big audience laughing with you. If not, you can catch it on a rental. Either way, I would recommend seeing the film at some point. You will get some great laughs from it. "Get her some alligator soup and make it snappy!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home